Against the Death Penalty
- Death Penalty
- News For New Yorkers Resolution Supporters<>
- <>COMING EVENTS
- Statewide calendar of events
Tools for Action
Fact sheet: Why New Yorkers should let the death penalty die.
Action Alert flyer to pass on to others
Sample letters to your legislator.
PDF Sign-up sheet for recruiting others to receive action alertsSee our earlier action alerts
Make a contribution to help NYADP replace the death penalty with life without parole.
On December 15, three committees of the New York State Assembly will hold a hearing at the New York City Bar Association on a new death penalty law for New York State (see story at right). This is the first of a series of hearings that will give New Yorkers a chance to speak out on the death penalty. If you live in the metropolitan area, we urge you to to attend - a big turnout is critically important.
Last June, the New York State of Appeals ruled that the state's death penalty is illegal. NYADP saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to replace New York's death sentence with life without parole. If you do not know where you stand on this issue, we suggest that you look at the Fact Sheet and Action Alerts listed in the left column. A lot has happened since the Appeals Court ruling:
- June 24:
- State Appeals court overturns death penalty
- July 13:
- NYADP sends out its first Action Alert.
- July 20:
- 25 speakers in Democratic Conference speak against new death penalty bill.
- Aug 11:
- Senate rushes to pass new death penalty bill.
- Sept 14:
- Silver says assembly will take no action now
- Nov 18:
- "Efforts to reinstate death penalty law stalled in Albany" - New York Times
How you can help
Important steps you can take no matter where you live iin New York State:
If you can do one thing:
- Contact: Your Assembly member
- Reach him/her: enter your zip code at www.vote-smart.org OR call the Assembly Public Information Office at 518-455-4218
- Tell him/her: "New York's death penalty is wasteful and unfair. The quick fix won't fix its many problems. Let the death penalty die."
If you can do two things:
- Contact: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver
- Reach him at: LOB 932, Albany, NY 12248 OR
- Tell him: "Thank you for taking the death penalty seriously and opposing the Senate's 'quick fix.' New York doesn't need the death penalty. Let it die."
If you can do three things:
Save the date! A public hearing on a new death penalty law for NY State will be held Wed Dec 15 at 9 AM at the NYC Bar Association, 42 West 44th St (5th and 6th Aves). Free and open to all. Hearings in other parts of state will follow.
New York State law enforcement officials speak out. Keep the death penalty off the books! they say in an open letter to the state legislature.
"Put Death Penalty on the Shelf" - Kaczynski message to New Yorkers.
Kaczynski writes on death penalty and mental health. NYADP Director describes problems faced by accused mentally ill.
Religious leaders adopt statement on death penalty. Interfaith group declares its "unambiguous" opposition to capital punishment.
Buy tickets to Knicks games and benefit NYADP. Tickets for games from November through February available through Ron Tabak.
Additional stories on our News page.